It’s there everywhere around us, isn’t it? People, technology, even the weather go through it. Nothing remains the same.
People go through so many makeovers in life. Even Mahatma Gandhi went from being dressed in western formal attire to his famous khadi-clad self. And along the way, he also took several million people with him. That’s what is important. No matter what we do to our external appearance, it is who we are that defines us. We may live in 2016, but if we still think like it is 1800 then have we transformed much? Have we evolved?
No one’s transformation is complete. It is a never ending process. And those who are on the path are strong. But those who are great are the ones who have started the process. One doesn’t have to think of high goals – that never works for the majority. Start small. Baby steps!
Look around you. I am sure you can make a small change today. Waste less food or drink more water. Do you have a small empty spot of soil around your parking space? Would you plant a seedling there or perhaps just place a seed in and let nature take its course. You would have done more than most others just because of this.
There are so many things that you could do. Transform your surroundings. And you begin to transform yourself as well. This is not about just the habitat but also about the people in your life. Take time to re-evaluate.
They say only you can be the best version of You. Go ahead, give it a try.
There may not be many things I do, but these are a few.
- I collect change, no matter how small. After some time you will enough to buy supplies. Or, take it to the bank.
- I am extremely picky about the people in my life. I believe we get one life, and why to waste even a minute with someone who is a negative influence. Maybe they are simply bitchy, but I’d rather change things than complain.
- I hate wasting food. I take small servings, and if I want more, then I take some more. But I don’t waste food.
- At home, we used to have a garden, but there has been a shortage of water so a lot of plants haven’t made it. But we went ahead and started collecting the water from the air conditioner. And from washing vegetables. A few plants yes, but they aren’t thirsty anymore.
- Meditate every day. I use Calm, which is a great app. There is also Headspace. Just follow the instructions. And see how much of a change it brings about. Also, Pray. converse with God, tell him about your day. He listens to us all.
- I read at least a page every day. Yes, you must read. I read fiction a lot. But this is different. I read a page of philosophy. Like, Marcus Aurelius. It must get you thinking. Look at things in a different way.
- Take some me time. This is not meditation. This is not reading. This is just being. Don’t do anything, just sit back and relax. Turn off your mind or think of sheep. Put on a face pack and fall asleep. But it’s basically 10 min at least of not doing anything.
- Love yourself. You are who are right now. Love that version of you. You can be a better person tomorrow, or the next day. Love that person more. Once you love yourself, you love everyone else as well. People who can hate themselves, cannot be nice to anyone. Learn to love yourself first.
I don’t know much, but these a few things that make me who I am. And I hope it helps in your transformation as well.